Skip to Content

DIY Bleach w/ Calcium Hypochlorite

Learn to create a potent bleach solution using calcium hypochlorite for effective cleaning and disinfection, offering a practical alternative to store-bought bleach with extended shelf life and cost efficiency.

Make Your Own Bleach w/ Calcium Hypochlorite

Introduction to Calcium Hypochlorite

Definition and Properties

Calcium hypochlorite, a chemical compound known for its disinfectant properties, serves as an efficient bleaching agent and water treatment solution. This granular compound stands out for its longevity and potency compared to liquid bleach solutions.

Advantages Over Liquid Bleach

Extended Shelf Life

Unlike traditional bleach, which degrades within 6-12 months, calcium hypochlorite can retain its effectiveness for up to 10 years when stored under optimal conditions, making it a superior choice for long-term use.

Economic Efficiency

The cost-effectiveness of calcium hypochlorite, given its extended shelf life and reduced frequency of replacement, renders it an economically viable alternative for various disinfection needs.

Creating a Bleach Solution

Materials and Preparation

Necessary materials include calcium hypochlorite and water. A precise measurement of 1 gram of calcium hypochlorite per gallon of water is ideal for achieving the desired solution strength.

Application and Use

The freshly prepared solution is most effective within the first 24 hours, making it ideal for immediate use in disinfecting surfaces and cleaning water containers. A minimum contact time of 30 minutes is recommended to ensure thorough disinfection.

Post-Application Measures

Rinsing with clean water after the disinfection process is essential to remove any residual bleach solution, safeguarding against potential chemical exposure.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Effectiveness Against Pathogens

Calcium hypochlorite solutions are highly effective in eliminating bacteria, viruses, and other harmful microorganisms, thereby ensuring the cleanliness and safety of treated surfaces and water containers.

Technical Specifications

The inclusion of additional compounds such as chlorides and hydroxides in some calcium hypochlorite formulations enhances the disinfectant properties of the solution, contributing to its broad-spectrum efficacy.


Utilizing calcium hypochlorite for DIY bleach production offers a reliable and efficient method for disinfecting and cleaning, combining ease of preparation with superior longevity and effectiveness compared to conventional bleach products. Adhering to safety guidelines and appropriate concentration levels ensures optimal results and user safety.

Richard Eckler

Thursday 6th of June 2024

What mixture is appropriate for washing clothing?

Rob Benson

Thursday 20th of June 2024

Having not done this... but I would do about a tablespoon in 1 gallon of water. Add the solution to your wash water then make sure to let it soak for at least 30 minutes before rinsing.

William french

Wednesday 13th of March 2024

I bought some p&g purifier of water one packet treats 2.5 gallons of water the problem is it says it expires in Jan 2026 is that the real shelf life or did I buy the wrong item

Rob Benson

Thursday 14th of March 2024

While that product is good, it has a very low amount of Calcium Hypochlorite in comparison (less than 1% by volume) and the other 99% of ingredients aren't listed (that I can see) so I can't attest to the shelf life but I doubt that expiration is accurate.