The PREPARED4X Fire Starter Survival Tool is a versatile and essential tool for outdoor enthusiasts, campers, and survivalists. Designed for reliability and ease of use, this tool combines multiple fire-starting components into one compact package.
Features and Benefits:
- Instant Fire Anywhere: The patented Survival Torch design ensures that you can light a fire in any condition, be it wind or rain. Its design directs sparks to the wick, ensuring quick ignition.
- All-in-One Design: No need to carry separate tools like ferrocerium rods, strikers, or bellows. This kit combines everything you need to start a controlled fire.
- User-Friendly: The premium quality ferrocerium combined with a unique curved striker makes it easy to produce sparks and light the wick.
- Reliability: The tool offers over 3 hours of continuous burn time and remains effective even after being soaked in water.
- Versatility: Whether you’re into bushcraft, hiking, camping, or preparing for emergencies, this tool is a perfect companion.
My Review of the Survival Torch from: PREPARED4X
Need a refill?
- Instant Fire Lighting: Fray the rope end and ignite with sparks using the PREPARED4X Survival Torch Emergency Fire Starter.
- Flame Control: Adjust the exposed wick to manage flame size; retract wick for quick extinguishing.
- Reliable Ignition: Water-resistant, wind-resistant, and weather-resistant; ignites even after being exposed to rain.
- Dependable in Emergencies: Offers 3+ hours of continuous burn or thousands of single-strike uses; effective even with a water-soaked hemp rope wick.
- Portable Design: Lightweight and compact; clip to striker and insert into Survival Torch Aluminum housing. Ideal for survival kits, hiking gear, and emergency kits.
- Rope Refill Included: Comes with a 36-inch Wax Infused Hemp Fire Starter Rope for the Survival Torch Fire Starter Kit. Note: Ferro rod, striker, and Aluminum housing not included.
Ferro rods, also known as ferrocerium rods, have a fascinating history that dates back to the early 20th century. The material ferrocerium was discovered by the Austrian scientist Carl Auer von Welsbach in 1903. He was searching for a way to improve the flint used in lighters of that era. What he came up with was a blend of metals, primarily consisting of iron (ferro) and cerium, that produced sparks when struck. This blend was aptly named ferrocerium.
Over the years, the use of ferrocerium expanded beyond just lighters. It became a favorite tool for survivalists, campers, and outdoor enthusiasts due to its reliability in producing sparks, even in adverse conditions.
Benefits of Using a Ferro Rod:
- Reliability: Ferro rods are known for their ability to produce sparks consistently, even when wet. This makes them a dependable fire-starting tool in various environments and weather conditions.
- Longevity: Unlike matches or lighters that can run out of fuel or become damaged, a ferro rod can last for thousands of strikes, ensuring you have a fire-starting method for a long time.
- Safety: Ferro rods are safe to carry and won’t ignite accidentally. They only produce sparks when struck intentionally, reducing the risk of unintended fires.
- Compact and Lightweight: Ferro rods are typically compact, making them easy to carry in a pocket, backpack, or survival kit. Their lightweight nature ensures they don’t add unnecessary bulk to your gear.
- Versatility: They can be used with various tinders, from dry leaves and grass to specially prepared tinder materials. This flexibility allows users to start fires in diverse situations.
- Waterproof: Unlike matches that can become useless when wet, ferro rods can still produce sparks after being submerged in water, making them invaluable in rainy or snowy conditions.
- Wind Resistance: The sparks from a ferro rod are hot and intense, allowing them to catch tinder on fire even in windy conditions where other fire-starting methods might fail.